Sunday, April 12, 2015

My Utmost For His Highest

Yesterday, I read the entry in "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers that corresponds to yesterday's date.  I wanted to share it with you all because it stood out to me with where I am in life right now.

The Way Of Abraham In Faith

"He went out, not knowing whither he went."
Hebrews 11:8

In the Old Testament, personal relationship with God showed itself in operation, and this is symbolized in the life of Abraham by his operation from his country and from his kith and kin.  Today the separation is more of a mental and moral separation from the way that those who are dearest to us look at things, that is, if they have not a personal relationship with God.  Jesus Christ emphasized this (see Luke 14:26). Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One Who is leading.  It is a life of faith, not of intellect and reason, but a life of knowing Who makes us "go."  The root of faith is the knowledge of a Person, and one of the biggest snares is the idea that God is sure to lead us to success.  The final stage in the life of faith is attainment of character.  There are many passing transfigurations of character; when we pray we feel the blessing of God enwrapping us and for the time being we are changed, then we get back to the ordinary days and ways and the glory vanishes.  The life of faith is not a life of mounting up with wings, but a life of walking and not fainting.  It is not a question of sanctification; but of something infinitely further on than sanctification, of faith that has been tried and proved and has stood the test.  Abraham is not a type of sanctification, but a type of the life of faith, a tried faith built on a real God. "Abraham believed God."


From this devotional I gathered many things. 

First, I noticed how Mr. Chambers pointed out the difference between separation from the world in the Old Testament and separation from the world now.  For Abraham, to be separate meant he literally separated himself from his old life, his old friends, and his old home.  He followed the Lord to a place where he lived away from the distractions and sins of his old life.  But now, in this day and age, the Lord has called us to be bold, to be separate, yes, but also to go into the fray.  We are to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15 As Mr. Chambers said, "Today the separation is more of a mental and moral separation from the way that those who are dearest to us look at things."  Today we are living in the world but not being OF it.  So we might look like the world we live in (to a certain extent) but we should never act like the world. Our separation might be partially outward (as far as how we dress), but more so inward.  And thus our witness for Christ shines through our actions.  For often times, "Actions speak louder than words."

Secondly, I liked how Mr. Chambers said, "Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One Who is leading.  It is a life of faith, not of intellect and reason, but a life of knowing Who makes us "go." The root of faith is the knowledge of a Person, and one of the biggest snares is the idea that God is sure to lead us to success.  The final stage in the life of faith is attainment of character."  So it is in faith that I am following the Lord on this journey with AMTC.  I might not know what is going to happen at the end, but I know Who it is that is leading me.  I might not have "success" as the world views it, but I will have success in that I will have accomplished all the Lord wills me to accomplish. :)  And hopefully with that will come an improvement and strengthening of my character.

Third, and lastly, I loved this statement by Mr. Chambers, "The life of faith is not a life of mounting up with wings, but a life of walking and not fainting." Sure, there are times where we fly on wings like eagles and walk without growing faint, but the Christian life is not a continuous life of ease by any means.  We are constantly fighting our flesh and going back to Christ for a refill on our spiritual ammo.  All of this takes work.  The same way in which I am working and training with AMTC.  Yes, it is hard and a bit overwhelming at times, "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37  

And so, at the end of the day, "..none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

Have a blessed weekend!  I look forward to updating you all next week on how my LAUNCH goes!

~Alexis Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment