Thursday, April 16, 2015

My First LAUNCH!!

So I'm sure you're all dying to hear how my first LAUNCH went, right? ;). Even if you're not, I'm still going to tell you if you're willing to read. :). 

My LAUNCH weekend was to take place in Elizabeth, NJ about 30 minutes away from NYC.  It started on Saturday, March 21st, at 10:00am and ended on Sunday, March 22nd, at 5 pm.  Of course we weren't training the entire time, they let us eat and sleep some. ;). But for the most part, I was busy practicing from 10:00am-7pm on Saturday and from 11:00am-5pm on Sunday.  If I had to use one word to describe the LAUNCH, it would be "INCREDIBLE"!!!!  I absolutely loved every moment there and am sad it was only two days!  But more on that later....let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start !).

On Friday, dad and I drove up to my grandparent's house in Woodbridge, Va, arriving around 6pm. Since it was almost a 6 hour drive from our house, we had decided it would be nice to be an hour and a half closer to our destination (NJ) so we wouldn't have to wake up as early to leave.  Thankfully, I have wonderful grandparents who are more than happy to let dad and I stay the night and give us all kinds of delicious food. ;). While we were there, I was able to go shopping with grandma and we found some great things (thanks grandma!)! :). My Uncle Greg and cousin Stephen live really close to my grandparents, so they joined us for a delicious dinner of tortilla soup, garlic bread, and a new kind of fruit salad dessert. 

 After getting some rest, dad and I left at 4am. :)  It had snowed in NJ the day before, so the landscape was quite white when we arrived.  Making good time, we arrived at 9am, with 45 minutes to spare before the LAUNCH began! :)  
Snowy landscape

On the road :)

Pawpaw & Nanaw had gotten us a room for Saturday night at Hampton Inn.  It couldn't have been in a more perfect location!  There was a connecting gate from our hotel to the hotel where the LAUNCH was being held- They were right next door to each other! :)  Thanks Pawpaw & Nanaw!
Our "Inn" for the night! :)

Our Room Number

When we got there, we found out we wouldn't be able to check in until noon, so we went into the hotel where the LAUNCH was being held and ate a quick breakfast from the goodies mom had packed for us. :)

Our Breakfast
After our "meal", we went into the main conference room where Mr. Reel, the head coach for the NY Hub, was setting up some sound equipment.  After asking if there was anything we could do to help, dad and I settled down in some of the chairs the had set out and chatted/waited until the LAUNCH began.
At 10:00am, the LAUNCH began!  After some opening remarks by Mr. Reel explaining what all was going to occur, we separated into 4 groups of about 20. We stayed in those groups for the whole day as we went around practicing and getting trained. 
So what exactly happened, you ask?  To put it simply, we went over all the different showcases under the realms of acting, modeling, and singing.  Included in the fee we're paying for AMTC's training is 3 of these "showcases."  A showcase is a particular performance that you choose to do and preform at the SHINE conference for the V.I.P.'s.  Each additional showcase I would choose to do costs $75.00 and gives me more exposure to more V.I.P.'s. The more chances they have to see me (and hopefully see Christ in me), the better.  That is why I'm there, after all (to get seen so as to promote Christ).  I will give you an overview of the 18 different showcases they have to offer and then I will comment on my experience practicing that particular showcase.

Showcases involving acting:

-The On Camera Showcase
A short on-camera performance.  Actors may perform a monologue (dramatic or comedic) or a commercial (either real or original.) Goal: To show the actor’s ability to work on camera.

~With this one, I preformed my own script I had written.  I learned that for this showcase,  I must always focus on the camera.  And as in all other areas of acting, I have to envision WHO exactly I am talking to, WHAT the situation is, and WHY I am talking to them.

- The Cold Read Showcase
Highlights an actor’s ability to perform from a hand-held script.  A monologue will be given to the performer a shot time before he or she enters the stage.  The actor stands before the microphone and performs in front of VIPs and a live audience.  The actor’s goal is to engage the audience with a strong interpretation of the scene, while briefly referring to the script when needed.

~For this showcase, I was handed a pre-made script a few minutes before going up to perform it.  In my script, I was explaining to my teacher that I did indeed do my homework....but my ferret made a nest out of it. ;) 

-The Scene Read Showcase
Allows the actor to perform from a partially memorized script with another actor before a live audience.  This showcase is most closely reflective of a play or stage audition.  The purpose of this event is to highlight and actor’s ability to engage another actor, as well as an audience, while using a script.

~This was different, as I was performing with another person.  We each had our own lines, but we were having a conversation.  From this, I discovered I need to figure out what to do while the other person is reading their lines.  How do I usually look, what do I usually do, when I'm in a conversation with someone and they are the one talking?  I should look natural.

-The Improv Showcase
Reveals an actor’s ability to think on his or her feet. Performers will be given a topic, title, or product, and be instructed to create a commercial, scene, or song.  Performers will begin speaking immediately (without pause for planning ahead) and continue to speak until they hear a warning bell.

~Honestly, I was a little nervous about this one.  I knew I hadn't been working on improv very much, so I wasn't sure how well I would do.  It went better than I expected, thankfully. :)  I did it twice.  Once, I was directed to make a song using the word, "crush," and the other time I made a commercial from the prompt, "fit flops."  

-The Stand Up Comedy Showcase
Stand Up Comedy is a specialized showcase designed for the unique gift of comedy.  Performers entertain VIPs and an audience with their wit, stories, impressions, and characters.

~I opted out of this one, as I don't feel any particular inclination to be a comedian. ;) It was still informational and entertaining, though, to watch the other people try it out. :)

-The Redirection Showcase
Gives a performer the opportunity to show casting directors and agents their ability to take direction, performing the same script following instruction from 5-6 casting agents live onstage.

~I enjoyed this as much as the other acting showcases. :)  I originally performed a pre-made script that had been handed to me a few minutes before I performed.  After I finished that performance, though, I was directed (as was everyone else) to write my own script and be ready to perform it in a few minutes.  So I wrote this script: "Did I wear this outfit yesterday?  I can't remember.  Mom, did I wear this outfit recently?  I've been wearing it all week."  The first time I performed it, I was talking to myself for the first two lines, yelling to my mom in the other room for the third line, and saying the last line as a question and acclamation of shock to myself and my mom.  Then came my redirection.  This time, he said, I was a crazy person in an insane asylum.  My mom was no where near where I was; I was alone in a room.  Haha....believe it or not, that fits my personality quite well.  ;)  It was fun, but looking back, I realized there were a few more things I could have done to make my "crazy" performance better. :)

-The Reaction Showcase
In this showcase, the performer will be on-camera. An actor on AMTC staff will read 15-20 seconds of a script off-camera. The performer will be on-camera, and will react appropriately as they speak, and reading their lines too. The performer's facial expressions and possibly movements, depending on their script, should evolve as the second script does.The scripts may be dramatic, comedic, and the commercials may showcase different products (skincare, athletic, food or beverage, etc.). The performer will be assigned their script based on their age, look and character type.

~This showcase was added after my LAUNCH, so we didn't go over it.

-The On-Set Showcase
The On-Set Showcase is an acting showcase where a performer gets to move around an actual set while they are acting out their lines with 2 other performers.  The scripts the performers receive will be around 40 seconds long. The lines will be simple and ambiguous, so that they can put your own spin on them, and you will be given a genre too (comedy, drama, action, historical). Two groups might have the same lines, but one will be a comedy and one will be an action movie. The lines are also simple so that the interest can be in the timing and how the performer and his or her group decide to move around their set.

~This showcase was added after my LAUNCH, so we didn't go over it.

Showcases involving modeling:

-The Fashion Runway Showcase
Intended for children, teens, and adults who fit into standard fashion sizes by New York industry specs.  This even showcases the model’s face, figure, movement, style, and personality.

~I;m not particularly interested in this showcase. 1. I don't think I fit into their sizing.  2. The standard of modesty in this particular industry is lower than I'd be willing to stoop.  I still practiced along with everyone else, though.  Experience is priceless so even if I never use it, at least I know how. :). We practiced "walking the runway" and got tips such as "never lose your smile," or a big one for me, "work on your posture!"

-The Lifestyle Runway Showcase
Intended for children, teens, and adults who will be marketed as lifestyle models in print ads, commercials, and lifestyle fashion. Many actors, singers, and dancers become lifestyle models too, as appearance and style are essential to their success. This event showcases the model’s face, figure, movement, style, and personality.

~I'm more interested in this form of modeling because your selling a product more than your selling yourself.  Plus, knowing how to model is important for whatever field I go into in the industry.  

-The Swimsuit Showcase
Intended for children, teens, and adults who are exceptionally fit by fasion and fitness industry standards.  Not only do modeling and lifestyle agents scout this showcase, but also agents looking for sports and fitness models.  Swimsuits for females are one-piece and all are conservative.

~We didn't practice this in particular.  I think it's the same as fashion runway in terms of what you do on stage.  Once again, I'm not really interested in this mainly due to my modesty standards being different from what they would require.
-The Family Runway Showcase
A heart-warming event for any fashion or lifestyle model who also wants to showcase a family member.  Family Runway gives the agents a chance to see where the AMTC talent gets his or her looks or personality!  As a real career opportunity, clients often want to book families.  Moms, dads, brothers, and sisters, have gotten placed from SHINE.

~This was fun. :).  Since the only family member I had with me was dad it was only the two of us.  The maximum number of family members that could do this with a performer is 3 (so a total of 4 counting the performer).  Basically, you "walk the runway" together as a family and do a pose at the center point that shows a bit of your personality.
-The Photography Showcase
A major SHINE showcase.  It highlights the models and talent to visiting VIPs in three ways: by voice, by live appearance, and by photographs.  With the benefits of amazing AMTC photos shown on giant screens during their performance, the new talent will walk the runway and introduce themselves on a microphone.

~This is a highly recommend showcase for performers.  Smiling is extremely important and "introducing" yourself means saying your slate.  Your slate is your name, age, height, and one interesting fact.  The VIPs already have your name, age, and height, so it is mainly for them to see how you handle yourself onstage. How confident you are, what your personality is like, etc.

Showcases involving singing:

-The Singers Showcase
A launching pad for every type of singer, from clean Rap to Opera, including Pop, Contemporary Christian, Gospel, R & B, Jazz, Country, Broadway, and everything in between.  Singer Songwriters are also a highly acclaimed feature of SHINE and often accompany themselves on guitar, piano, or even harmonica.  Groups and Duos are welcome.
~I was one-on-one with Mr. Reel for this.  I went over three cover songs and three of my original songs (accompanying myself on piano for my original songs).  My cover songs were When You Believe by Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey, Because of You by Kelly Clarkson, and my favorite, Fly by Maddie & Tae.  My original songs were Creative Love, Why We Worship, and Thanksgiving To You.

-The SHINE Sing Off
Groups of 5-6 performers will be organized on site at the beginning of SHINE and assigned a song (including lyrics) to sing a cappella, a singing coach, a choreographer, and a stylist.  Groups will plan their own rehearsals and harmonies for the showcase, which will be on Friday at SHINE.  The majority of the performance will depend on the group's creativity, harmonies, and showmanship.

~Not everyone can do this showcase.  I have to audition for it with another interested person at an upcoming LAUNCH to show that we can harmonize. Originally, I thought we had to audition at the LAUNCH we were at so I practiced "It is well with my soul" with a young man named Angel.  Then Mr. Reel told us that we should wait until after AMTC's summer SHINE to audition so that his lists wouldn't get confused.  And since Angel is going to the summer SHINE, I needed to find another person going to the same SHINE as me to practice/audition with.  On Sunday evening I was able to organize with a young man named Adonis (who is also going to winter SHINE), that we would audition together. He lives in New Jersey but is planning on coming down in the next month or so to practice with me.  We're looking forward to it! 

-The Collaboration Showcase
The collaboration Showcase is a groundbreaking concept where songwriters and instrumentalists are combined (at the SHINE conference) and given 4 days to write and arrange a song as a group. Each Hub nominates their top vocalist, songwriter, rapper, and instrumentalist. 10 groups of 3-4 performers will be formed and will collaborate to write a song, which will be performed during the showcase.

~This was not rehearsed at the LAUNCH.

Showcases involving dancing:

-The Dancers Showcase
This showcase has launched many stars, springing onto music videos, Broadway, So You Think You Can Dance, the Oscars, and stages everywhere. Every form of dance is seen, from classical ballet to hip hop.  

~Since I'm not a dancer, no practice was required of me for this showcase.

-The SHINE Dance Off
Up to 6 performers will be grouped on site at the beginning of SHINE.  Each group will be given a song, and assigned a dance coach and stylist.  Each group will plan its own rehersals and choreography for the showcase, which will be on Friday at SHINE.  The majority of the performance will depend on the group's creativity, style, and showmanship

~Since I'm not a dancer, no practice was required of me for this showcase.

-------

So there you have a sonopsis of all the different showcases available to do at the SHINE conference! As I mentioned, I went over the majority of those at my LAUNCH.

In addition to practicing the showcases, we also practiced "flash interviews." At the end of the SHINE conference they have time set aside for you to meet all the VIPs who attended.  There are 50-100 VIPs there, but many more performers.  In other words, there's a long line to talk to these VIPs. :). To practice, they stimulated flash interviews by setting up 6 different places in one room and giving us a certain amount of time to meet/talk to as many VIPs as we could.  A few of the VIPs for this stimulation were the actual agents who had been training us through the weekend and a few (like my dad) were volunteers.  :)  Once the flash interviews were over, the different VIPs came up and shared tips on things they saw us doing that were either good, or things we could work on.  I learned that I need to know exactly what/where I want to be going with the talents the Lord has given me, and I need to be ready to explain who I am in a quick yet thorough way.

After the LAUNCH ended on Saturday night, dad and i settled into our hotel room and then headed back over to the hotel Renessiance (where the LAUNCH was held) for dinner.  They had a mini resurant in the hotel and we ended up ordering truffle scented kettle chips with blue cheese dip and a small Italian sasauge pizza.  :)

Half of our pizza :)

The kettle chips and blue cheese dip

Over dinner we got to call back home and give the family a quick update. :)

After dinner, we went back to our hotel where we got to talk with a guy named Eric.
While in line for the flash interviews I was able to talk with a few people, which is always nice. One of those people was Eric.  Daddy had pointed him out to me when we were rehearsing the photography showcase and had said he looked like a nice guy.  He's in his early thirties and has been in the military for multiple years.  Dad and I had a chance to get to know him much more that night as he stayed in the same hotel as us and joined us for the hotel's free continental breakfast in the morning. He's a singer/songwriter as well and it was neat being able to hear some of his songs.

Dad and Eric at breakfast
What could be better than free waffles for breakfast?! ;)
On Sunday morning, they had a time of praise and worship as well as various scripture readings by Mrs. Reel.

Then we were back to practicing. :). At the end of the day, all the singers came up and performed a piece of music they had been working on. It was neat being able to witness all the variety of talents the Lord has given people in singing as well as get some personal experience with stage presence. ;). I need to work on being more comfortable and confident on stage and learn how to "walk the stage" while I'm singing.

One little girl in particular that I enjoyed watching perform was Avery.  She is 5 years old and absolutely adorable! :). She's trying her best and is doing well.  I can't wait to see where the Lord leads her!
My little sister, Avery, and I at lunch together. :)

Before leaving on Sunday night, quite a few people were going around getting contact info from the various people they met.  I got 4 numbers from people and am glad to be able to keep in touch with my AMTC family as we journey together!


The sunset on the way home

All in all, I had a wonderful time!  I'm already eagerly anticipating my next LAUNCH! :)

Thanks for reading!  Have a blessed weekend!

~Alexis Noel

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Alexis! You don't know me, but my husband and my daughter, Bianca, met you and your Dad at a Father-Daughter retreat years ago. We have enjoyed reading your family's blog since then, and now I'm so happy to hear about your exciting experiences with AMTC!:-) We know a couple of other young ladies through College Plus who have also begun this journey. We will be praying for you to be a bright light in this sometimes dark industry, and that your heart, mind, and soul will always be protected by the Holy Spirit. Meanwhile, I look forward to keeping up with your adventures via this blog!:-) Please tell your Dad that my husband Mark remembers him fondly and has commented how nice it would be to stop in Virginia sometime and visit y'all's family! Maybe someday soon!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Osborne!

    It's so great to hear from you!

    It's neat that you know of others on this AMTC journey. So far I've met many wonderful people through AMTC and I know I've barely even scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to making many more friends through AMTC as time goes on. :)

    I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am for all the prayers and support I am receiving from people like you and your family. I really appreciate it!

    I told my dad. :) We'd love to have y'all come out! Just send us an email whenever y'all are going to be anywhere closer to VA than OK. ;) It would be a pleasure to host your family and get to finally meet the rest of your family. :)

    Have a blessed week!

    In Christ,
    Alexis Noel

    ReplyDelete