Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Audition

Hello my dear blog readers!  I'm on my way home from my first movie audition and thought I'd let y'all know how it went! :).

The audition took place on Hull St. in Richmond, Va.  It was scheduled to be from 12:00pm-4:00pm.  After picking up my freshly-printed headshots from Walmart and getting my resume ready, dad and I arrived at "Artworks" around 11:00pm.  The line was already wrapped around two sides of the building! Good thing we got there so early! Though I never saw the end of the line myself, I'm pretty sure it wrapped all the way around the building. ;) We stood in line for about 2 1/2 hours but it didn't feel that long. When you're me or you're with someone like me or my dad, you're bound to make new friends with those around you. ;).  It was neat hearing their back stories and especially interesting to talk with them if they had been in movies before.

Finally we arrived INSIDE the "Artworks" building.  :) There was still a long hallway of waiting ahead of us, but the intriguing pieces of art kept us interested (if not slightly amused ;).  Before I auditioned they got a picture of me with my slate (name, number, email).  Then I handed my resume (with attached headshot), and audition form to a friendly volunteer and turned to face the camera.  The camera guy said the lines of "Sam" and I said the lines of "Pat".

Sam: Did you get it?

Pat: No.  Didn't like the place.

Sam: What do you mean?

Pat: Don't worry about it.

Those are the lines I did with the camera guy.

In order to make a performance realistic, you have to imagine yourself in a real situation.  Because of what the film is about, I imagined that Sam was my white husband and I was Pat, his black wife.  We are standing outside of the court when this conversarion happens.  He is asking me if I got the marriage certificate.  Because we both know it's illegal for us to be married, we are apprehensive.  Thus in my response to the camera man saying Sam's lines, I sounded apprehensive/nervous/concerned.

After I did the cold read with the camera guy he redirected me.  "This time," he said, "pretend you're in trouble." The camera was still rolling so I couldn't just stop and think for awhile about how to sound like I was in trouble or even why. I just had to go. In my head, I was kind of thinking that my last read was read kind of like I was in trouble.....but you can't just tell a VIP no. ;)  So I gave it the best shot I could at the time.  I took a bit more of a defensive role this time.  After the fact, I realized I could have done such-and-such to make it better, but you can't change what's been done. :)

Dad ended up auditioning as well. :) He'd make a good blue-collar buff guy in this 1950's era movie. ;)

If dad/I get a speaking role, we'll hear back sooner as opposed to later.  The filming is from September - November.  If they want to use one or both of us as extras, we could hear back anytime from now until November. ;) And I guess if they don't want us at all, we won't hear from them ever. :)

I'll let you know if we hear back from them! :)

All in all, I think my first audition went wonderfully, and I'm praising the Lord that He kept all nervousness far far away where it belonged. ;)

Here's a picture of my dad and I after the audition:














Have a blessed day!

~Alexis Noel

5 comments:

  1. Wow--I didn't think there would be that many people there!
    Happy for you, and I'm sure you did great!
    Haylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Haylee! The Lord's will shall be done! :D

      ~Alexis Noel

      Delete
  2. What a glorious opportunity for you, Alexis! We just saw a movie recently called "Jackson's Run" that starred a young friend of Bianca's from College Plus. His name is Rusty, and he also appeared as the son Dylan in the movie "Courageous." Bianca has another College Plus friend, Tiffani, who has been involved with AMTC as well! Praying that the Lord will continue leading you to the wonderful plans He has for you!

    ~ Betsy Osborne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really neat, Mrs. Osborne! :) I've seen "Courageous"- Rusty did a great job! I never realized how many Christians were involved in the entertainment industry until I started working with AMTC- it's really a wonderful thing to see! :)

      Thank you for your prayers and encouragement!

      ~Alexis Noel

      Delete
  3. Cut a cd with you singing so you can sell it when you sing somewhere. Also you can send it out as a demo

    ReplyDelete